South River Rice Paddy. Photo by Christian Elwell
Autumn Greetings from South River Miso
As the changing season brings cooler days to much of the country, our appetites wake up and we are inspired to cook heartier dishes. Miso is the perfect ingredient in fall soups, stews and sauces. The savory, comforting taste brings out the flavors of plump squash, roots, grains and greens of the harvest time. Miso is filled with naturally occurring enzymes and probiotics that can aid digestion and help maintain strong immunity.
We currently have all ten of our delectable miso varieties available online at southrivermiso.com
. Please browse through our informative web site and view our lively videos
Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry
Enjoy this delicious chicken stir fry with a serving of red quinoa on a brisk fall evening. The enzymes in the marinade help tenderize the meat. You can use tofu or tempeh instead of chicken for a vegetarian dish.
Serves two or three.
1 pound organic boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 red bell pepper
1 cup broccoli florets
1 tablespoon South River Tamari
2 teaspoons Sweet Tasting Brown Rice Miso
or other variety of miso.
3 garlic cloves minced
2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
1 tablespoon kudzu or arrowroot powder dissolved in 2 tablespoons of cold water
1 teaspoon agave or honey
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or fresh hot pepper (minced, seeds removed)
2 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
1. Mix marinade ingredients. Cut chicken crosswise into ¼ inch strips. Mix chicken with marinade, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
2. Cut peppers into thin strips and broccoli florets into bite size pieces.
3. Heat wok or large frying pan on high heat and add 2 teaspoons of sesame oil. Sauté broccoli for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Set broccoli aside.
4. Recoat pan with 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Remove chicken from marinade and set excess marinade aside. Sauté chicken for about 3 minutes until almost fully cooked.
5. Combine broccoli and peppers with chicken and remaining marinade. Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with a side of red quinoa and enjoy!
Visit Our Website
Enjoy our pictures, slideshows and videos by exploring the links below.
- Shop at our online store.
- Try more of our great recipes.
- Watch videos of rice growing at South River.
- View a slide show of the miso making process.
- Watch a Cooking Channel video about South River Miso.
- See a slide show of our location at South River Farm.
- Read "Love Letters" from our customers.
Please join our community on Facebook