Wood fire cooking at South River Miso. Photo by Danielle Norris-Gardner
Holiday Greetings from South River Miso
It's holiday season - a time to gather with friends and family to celebrate, to visit, and - to eat! Find a balance with all of the abundant sweet and rich treats of the season by making some dishes with healthy, hearty South River Miso.
An ancient food, miso is packed with enzymes and naturally occurring probiotics which may aid in good digestion and overall well-being. It is great for marinating fish and meat, flavoring soups and stews, salad dressings and more. Our miso is always 100% organic and non-GMO. We also have several gluten-free varieties. Head over to our website
to see all of our recipes.
South River Miso makes a healthy holiday gift for yourself or others. We offer a sampler pack
which contains four popular varieties plus our own recipe booklet.
Visit our store
to order your favorite varieties.
All of us at South River wish all of you a healthy and joyous holiday season!
Squash Soup with Miso
1 medium butternut, kabocha or other winter squash weighing 2 lbs
1 large sweet potato
1 medium sized onion, chopped
3 tbsp Sweet-Tasting Brown Rice Miso
6 cups vegetable stock
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 tbsp chopped scallions
1 tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Cut squash into quarters with skin on. Leave sweet potato whole and pierce with fork in a few places. Roast both uncovered for about 1 hour or until soft when pierced with a knife.
3. When cool enough to handle, remove skins of squash and sweet potato.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, chopped garlic and grated ginger. Cook until softened.
5. Add the vegetable stock (or substitute plain water). Add the roasted squash and sweet potato. Bring to high heat. Simmer for about 15 mins.
6. Dilute miso in about two teaspoons of water and add to soup.
7. Puree with an immersion blender or in regular blender.
8. Garnish with scallions and a dash of paprika.
Over the years we've received so many wonderful letters of gratitude - here are a few we'd like to share!
I’m a very pleased customer. I have been eating miso for 30 years or more and
I just have stumbled upon yours and it’s far and away the best around. Just great.
As good as any and better than most, even what I had in Japan.
…I just want to particularly thank you for this extraordinary product.
I’ve mentioned it to many of my friends now, and no one’s disappointed.
- Dr. Larry R., Cambridge, MA
I continue to be so grateful for the effort put forth to produce this incredible miso. I have been eating South
River Miso since the early 80's and now my grandchildren are enjoying it. Honestly I can't imagine our lives without
it. We are so spoiled. Please thank everyone involved from [our] family…
- Marylin H., Santa Cruz, CA.
Visit Our Website
Enjoy our pictures, slideshows and videos by exploring the links below.
- Shop at our online store.
- Try more of our great recipes.
- Watch videos of rice growing at South River.
- View a slide show of the miso making process.
- Watch a Cooking Channel video about South River Miso.
- See a slide show of our location at South River Farm.
- Read "Love Letters" from our customers.
Please join our community on Facebook