40 Garlic Clove Chicken Soup
9 small heads of garlic
1 small chicken (approx. 3 lb)
4 tbsp olive oil
2 large leeks, chopped
3 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
4 cups coconut cream
Juice of 4 lemons
1/2 cup South River Chickpea Miso
8 cups chicken stock or bone broth (click here
to learn more about bone broth)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place chicken in roasting pan.
3. Place garlic heads around chicken. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Put pan in oven. Check chicken every 20 minutes, basting each time until golden brown. When the temperature next to the leg bone is 165 degrees, remove from oven and cool.
5. To start soup base, add leeks to a soup pot. Saute with thyme in olive oil for ten minutes over medium heat.
6. Add roasted garlic to soup pot. To get garlic out of it's skin, cut root end off roasted garlic bulb and squeeze out the cloves.
7. Remove all skin and meat from the chicken, then chop and add to the garlic and leeks in the soup pot along with the drippings from the roasting pan.
8. Add 8 cups of stock/bone broth to the soup pot, let simmer for five minutes.
9. Add coconut cream and lemon juice.
10. Add miso by mixing the miso with a small amount of broth and then adding it to the soup pot a few minutes before serving.
11. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!