Squash Soup with Miso
1 medium butternut, kabocha or other winter squash weighing 2 lbs
1 large sweet potato
1 medium sized onion, chopped
3 tbsp Sweet-Tasting Brown Rice Miso
6 cups vegetable stock
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 tbsp chopped scallions
1 tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Cut squash into quarters with skin on. Leave sweet potato whole and pierce with fork in a few places. Roast both uncovered for about 1 hour or until soft when pierced with a knife.
3. When cool enough to handle, remove skins of squash and sweet potato.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, chopped garlic and grated ginger. Cook until softened.
5. Add the vegetable stock (or substitute plain water). Add the roasted squash and sweet potato. Bring to high heat. Simmer for about 15 mins.
6. Dilute miso in about two teaspoons of water and add to soup.
7. Puree with an immersion blender or in regular blender.
8. Garnish with scallions and a dash of paprika.